The Newman Council Executive Board is comprised of members of the Lehigh University Catholic Community who have made a commitment to further the presence of the Catholic Church on campus. The purpose of the Newman Council Executive Board is to advise the Catholic Chaplain on the areas regarding Catholic life on campus, especially in planning and implementing Catholic religious, social, and intellectual functions. The NC Executive Board is also the steering committee for the Newman Center, which provides activities, support and fellowship for Catholic student-members.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
In order to run for the Newman Council Executive Board, you must be an undergraduate, graduate student or faculty member of Lehigh University who is a practicing Catholic.
CURRENT OFFICERS AND POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
President: Rachel Weckselblatt
Secretary: Susan Kleman
Treasurer/Fundraising: Daniel Ritter
Head of Outreach: Hanna Charron
Head of Programs and Events: Brendan Michaelis
Head of Prayer/Spirituality: Joseph Ventura and Anastassiya Perevezentseva
Head of Service and The South Bethlehem Project: Michelle Juarez
Head of Evangelization: Caroline Haynie
Athletics Chair: Julianne D'Orazio
Arts and Culture Chair: Eugene Vivino
Grad Student Chair: Chris Szilagyi
Gyphons Chair: Vacant
Greek Life Chair: Abigail Rose
· Meets regularly with the Chaplain
· Creates meeting agendas and semester schedule with the Chaplain
· Sends weekly meeting reminder via email
· Plans and runs Newman Council Meetings
· Sends e-mail event reminders to Newman Council
· Serves as delegate for Newman Council in communication with other University offices
· Oversees all Newman Council efforts
· Delegates Tasks
· Takes attendance at Newman Council Meetings & keeps a record for each semester
· Takes meeting minutes (including a task list) & distributes them electronically in a timely fashion to all officers and those in attendance
· Submits weekly bulletin announcements & digital newsletter announcements to Newman Center Staff by Friday at 8am
· Creates and collects sign-in sheets at CSU events; Submits sheets to Newman Center staff
· Inherits president’s responsibilities when president is unavailable
· Organizes fundraising opportunities
· Writes annual alumni letter
Head of Outreach
· Coordinates tabling, daily announcements, flyers, other forms of advertising & marketing
· Manages social media (Facebook, Twitter, website)
· Uses CSU social media to advertise Fellowship’s and Spirituality’s events
· Works with other student organizations on collaborative events
· Works closely with Newman Center staff in evangelization efforts
Head of Programs and Events
· Coordinates opportunities for fellowship & community building among Catholics on campus
· Reports to Head of Outreach about fellowship opportunities
Head of Prayer/Spirituality
· Coordinates opportunities for prayer and spiritual growth including devotions, days of recollection, retreats, & special seasonal events
· Reports to the Chaplain about prayer & spirituality opportunities
Head of Service and The South Bethlehem Project
· Coordinates service trips
· Coordinates participation of NC in University opportunities for service
· Coordinates weekly/bi-weekly service programs
· Serves as site leader when NC participates in service
· Serves as Coordinator of the South Bethlehem Project and SBP Committee
Head of Evangelization
· Coordinates the Catholic Evangelization efforts on campus.
· Develops opportunities and events the help students and the community better understand the Catholic faith.
· Gives attention to university opportunities to promote the faith and change perceptions.
· Primary liaison between and representative for student athletes and coaches.
· Voices initiatives and concerns for student athletes.
· Interfaces with Inter-Varsity and other faith outreaches to student athletes.
· Primary liaison between and representative for students involved in the visual and performing arts.
· Primary liaison between and representative for students involved in the promotion and celebration of culture.
· Advocates the needs of students involved in the arts and/or culture from a faith perspective.
· Initiates activities with other NC members that combine the arts and/or culture and the Catholic faith.
· Keeps NC apprised of opportunities available to students through Lehigh entities, such as The Zoellner Center.
Grad Students Chair
· Primary liaison between and representative for graduate students on and off campus.
· Advocates the needs of graduate students from a faith perspective.
· Initiates activities with other NC members that are particularly geared toward graduate level students.
· Primary liaison between and representative for students who serve as gryphons in dormitories on campus;
· Advocates the needs of gryphons from a faith perspective.
· Advises the NC on trends and best practices to effectively connect with Catholic students in the dormitories.
Greek Life Chair
· Primary liaison between and representative for students in fraternities or sororities on campus.
· Advocates the needs of students in Greek life from a faith perspective.
· Initiates activities with other NC members that combine fraternities and sorority values with the Catholic faith.
· Keeps NC apprised of opportunities to collaborate with Greek life on campus.